Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rainbow Charm Swap

I'm a bit of an organiser so when the opportunity come around for a fabric swap I jumped at the chance of taking part and took charge.




This fabric swap is going to be based on collecting the rainbow. Everyone will be allocated a colour, then you'll need to source a tone on tone fabric that matches that colour, prepare it for the swap and then send it to me, I'll split up all the colours of the rainbow and send you back your own pot of gold (2 charms from each swap, 56 charms in total).


Our colours are red, pink, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, we require 28 people or swaps *you're more than welcome to join more than once by selecting another colour* we need 4 of each colour for this rainbow to be complete.


Please read below and then comment if you'd like to take part, you can either select a colour or one will be allocated to you.



Fabric requirements:

  1.  For swapping 5" charm squares, each person will purchase 1 yard of fabric and cut it  into 5" charm squares. 1 yard = 56 charms.  (I recommend buying 1.25 yards- never hurts to have a little extra in case you make a cutting mistake.) 1 yard equals 92cms
  2. Choose a fabric that has a small print suitable for an 5" charms. Scale of the print is very important as smaller works better in this case. 
  3. Fabric should be 100% cotton, quilt shop quality fabric. 
  4. Fabric must be new and unwashed and must come from a smoke free environment.
  5. Before mailing, cut your fabric into 5" x 5" charm squares.  Press your fabric before cutting. 1 yard = 56 charm squares (5" x 5".)  Here's a great tutorial on how to cut fabric into charms by Elizabeth Hartman.
  6.  Put your fabric in a ziplock bag and include an index card with your name and email address. 
  7. Upload pictures of your fabric to the swap Flickr group and include the name of the fabric, designer, etc if possible. This ensures that there are no duplicate fabrics chosen and allows everyone to find out more about the fabrics in case they would like to order more once they have received their charms. 

Timeline
: Please have your fabric in the post to me no later than the 30th April 2012. 

Shipping:
Participants must include a prepaid self-addressed, stamped envelope along with their charms when mailing them to me. A very easy way to handle this is to include a pre paid Australian Post satchel with your charms. Smaller package envelopes are fine too but participants should keep in mind: bubble or plastic envelopes work best - no risk of tearing in the mail.  

30 comments:

  1. Sounds awesome, I LOVE rainbows! Please include me for one colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful Cassie, please note I've put you down for Red, if you'd like to swap it please let me know

      Delete
    2. Can you please email me on rack.danielle@gmail.com with Rainbow as the subject and your address, then I can reply with my address. Thanks so much for joining me on this charm swap.

      Delete
  2. I'd love to join in on this swap. I love rainbows. One colour please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellie-Mae, I've put your down as Pink, if you'd like to swap just let me know

      Delete
  3. Hmmm.. I'm on a bit of a fabric ban atm (or at least I should be...) but it's only one yard.. but what the heck, count me in! QCA all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I should be too after the last few trips to Spot Light, but I won't tell if you don't :-) I've got you down to orange :-)

      Delete
    2. Can you please email me on rack.danielle@gmail.com with Rainbow as the subject and your address, then I can reply with my address. Thanks so much for joining me on this charm swap.

      Delete
  4. i love rainbows and I would love to be a part of this! Sounds like a great way to get a wide variety of fabrics :D Will the 500g prepaid satchel be enough to include for return post?
    One colour please :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too sure as this is my first charm swap, only done card ones before this. I would weigh your collection once finish and just send the same postage satchel used to get it to me.

      I've given you yellow if that's okay :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the reply! And yellow is great :D

      Delete
    3. Can you please email me on rack.danielle@gmail.com with Rainbow as the subject and your address, then I can reply with my address. Thanks so much for joining me on this charm swap.

      Delete
  5. Now just to clarify one thing - when you specify quilt shop quality fabric, do you mean designer fabric or is Spotlight quilting fabric ok? (I'm cool either way, just checking!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pick me please ;) This sonuds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought my fabric on the weekend! Now to cut it up and get it in the post :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pics are up in the flickr group if you want to have a look xo

      Delete
    2. Exciting :-) will have to pop by and check it out :-)

      Delete
  8. i would love to take part in rainbow swap please sound so interesting beverley_812@hotmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverley I've put you down for Red :-)

      Delete
    2. Can you please email me on rack.danielle@gmail.com with Rainbow as the subject and your address, then I can reply with my address. Thanks so much for joining me on this charm swap.

      Delete
    3. no worries sent one email last night cheers bev just wonder if i can use the acccuquilt go baby to cut my 5" squares out ..

      Delete
    4. Of course :-) sounds like a great idea wish I had one :-D

      Delete
    5. I want the 5" accuquilt die so bad! I'm spewing that the square on the Value die is 4.5".. oh for that other 1/2"..

      Delete
  9. Can i please be included? just saw this on Cassie's page.
    not sure what the tone on tone bit is as I am very new to quilting but i have blue, red and some other fabrics here which might be good. thanks Kaitlyn
    kjbdesigns@bigpond.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you can join in :-) Tone on Tone is where the fabric is the same colour just different tones, and the different ones create a pattern of some kind... if that makes sense, for example a blue fabric with light blue, dark blue etc all in the same piece. What colour would you like me to put you down for :-) We are aiming for four people on each colour.

      Delete
    2. thank you. I think red please if not gone. I might have found something here so have asked a question. Thank you for including me. :-)

      Delete
  10. If you still have places, I'd like to join :)

    Taisia at piecinglight.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Taisia we are full up but watch the blog as I'm going to start another swap as soon as this one has finished up {Beginning of May}

      Delete